Thursday, April 2, 2015

Week Twelve: "The Invisible Illnesses" Analysis

When writing about mental illness, I wanted to be sure to utilize logos through facts and statistics. I wanted the reader to see the facts about mental illness in order to believe them and see my point. The facts I found were from the NAMI website, which had all kinds of statistics, but I only used one prevalent fact. I didn't want the bulk of my argument to be just facts.

With that being said, I utilized a lot of ethos and pathos. I tied in stories from my life that the reader could either understand or empathize with. Talking about my ninth grade experience and then my own mental illness both created credibility for the subject, but also evoked the pathos of the reader. I let these take lead with my argument because it is first hand experience that really makes me close to the issue of mental illness awareness.

I wanted to use all three persuasive strategies because I think they work together nicely to help solidify my stance and create a thought provoking idea that could lead to reader action. I think that with a topic like mental illness, it is important to engage the reader with all three strategies because they all create a balance of fact, credibility, and emotional stimulation-- with the emotional stimulation the most important because it allows readers to connect on a higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment